Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Story Behind my Photography 2000


2000 -
I was college in the School of Architecture. By then the world was weaving in the consciousness of the digital era, the new millennium. At the same time, third world countries were just weaving out of the awareness that despite analog, it still had its uses. So I was proud enough to be carrying around independently my mother's Ricoh analog camera. I took it with me in my study travels to Camiguin where we toured the island to document Spanish houses. But of course unlike the digital camera nowadays, I didn't have the luxury to take random photos of inanimate objects. Those were the days when a 36-film camera roll cost Php300 pesos to develop, plus developing charge. A self-supporting working student like me couldn't indulge in what may pay a month's tuition fee. So
my photos always if not often contained faces of my friends in front a backdrop of antique churches and houses. Or else, just faces of my friends - posing to what we prefer to call today as "wacky". The camera lasted me in my study travels to Bohol and Cebu and even in our family visit to Manila. It stayed until it could not serve anymore.

(Inset: An example of my photos in Cebu Taoist Temple. A perfect example of shoot, print, compile and scan)

No comments:

Post a Comment