Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Story Behind my Photography

I've always loved photography. Except that I never had a real camera I can call mine.

My first encounter with this - now well-loved apparatus was way back when Kodak had this purse camera. It was slim and yellow and very 1980's. I was well past the era of Polaroid insta-photos but hey, it's back alright. But even as the Polaroid was elusive to me, so was that Kodak fad cam. Only my older cousin could hold it - coz she was "older", naturally. Until I was high school and cameras then were though analog, became even more advanced with the automatic system it had inside. I was 14 years old when my Uncle trusted me with their office issue. Dear Uncle Joe taught me how to frame correctly and balance. He too had an eye for perspectives and art, he is a Mechanical Engineer. But even better than he was in photography is my godmother and my mother's sister, Auntie Chinga. She is an artist and has never ceased to be even as her eyes have failed her. Well, once an artist, always an artist. This is proven through her choices in clothes, colors, designs, and more importantly - cameras. She always had what seemed to be best of what the digital times could offer. Working in the United States, it was easier to do this. While here I was in the Philippines, drooling at her takes and those - cameras.





No comments:

Post a Comment